By appointment only 972-578-7097 972-578-7097

Applying to get your child’s juvenile record sealed

You want your child to have the best possible chances in life, and that means doing whatever you can to minimize the effects of a juvenile record with the Texas courts. We at the law office of Stephen H. Miller, Attorney at Law, often assist parents in filing a motion to seal the record.

Your child’s juvenile record exists in multiple locations before it is sealed, according to the Texas Juvenile Justice Department, and these include the following:

  • The Juvenile Justice Information System computer database
  • The courts
  • The prosecution
  • Law enforcement
  • Juvenile probation departments

The Texas Department of Public Safety may share these records only with certain entities. Criminal justice agencies, juvenile justice agencies and the Ombudsman for TJJD juvenile courts may view the records. Only your child may share this record with the military, and agencies outside of the criminal justice system may only view the records if a federal law authorizes it, or through an executive order. Your child’s record can never be shared with occupational licensing entities.

There are a number of criteria to meet before filing the application requesting that the court seal the record:

  • It has been two years since probation discharge or the final court action took place
  • The law does not require your child to register as a sex offender
  • Your child has no adult felony convictions
  • Your child has no pending adult charges
  • There is no current commitment to TJJD

If your child is 18 or older, he or she may file the request to the court. Depending on the circumstances, other options, such as expunction, may be available. More information regarding juvenile records is available on our webpage.